Friday, January 22, 2016

Apple Slice

Try to stop at one! This apple slice is so more-ish.

Whenever we have a family gathering, this slice is the dish that we always request my Aunt to bring. It's not just a favourite of the family's, it seems it's also her most-requested dish for gatherings with her friends.

I have never made this myself so am unsure about serves and times.

Ingredients

  • 1 packet Vanilla Cake Mix
  • 3/4 cup dessicated coconut (optional)
  • 125g melted butter
  • 300 ml sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 x 400g tin of pie apple
  • Brown sugar
  • Cinnamon

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
  2. Line a slice tin with baking paper.
  3. Mix the vanilla cake mix, dessicated coconut and melted butter together.
  4. Press mixture firmly into the slice tin to form the slice base.
  5. Mix the sour cream, egg and pie apple together, and pour onto the prepared base.
  6. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon on top of the slice.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes.

  8. When cool cut into squares and store in the refrigerator.

Notes and tips

  • My cousin's tip:
    1. Bake the slice base in the oven for approximately 15 minutes, then remove it and let it cool completely.
    2. Pour the sour cream, egg and pie apple mixture on top of the cooled base; sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon, and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.
  • For something different, try peaches or pie apricot.

I didn't realise how many different apple slice recipes were floating around the family. Other than the fact I thought pie apple only came in 800g tins (lesson learned: don't trust online shopping sites for tin sizes), this is my Aunt's preferred recipe because the entire slice can be prepared before baking it in the oven. I might just have to try this myself and investigate all the variations. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, I would suggest baking the base a little first before adding the topping .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wilma. I added your tip into the recipe.

      Delete