Sunday, January 28, 2018

Winemaker's Platter

A simple meal for a hot day!

These last weeks in Sydney have been hot and humid. Scorching days and muggy nights leave me feeling so drained that cooking dinner at the end of the day is the last thing I want to do!

Winemaker's Platter
View in Instagram

Pancetta and smoked salmon with dijonnaise, cracked pepper pate, blue cheese and low-fat cheddar cheese, homemade guacamole and corn relish dip, a small salad, and rice crackers.

The ‘Winemaker's Platter’ was a dish we enjoyed on one of our first visits to the Hunter Valley. Although no longer offered (at least not at the cafe where we sampled it), the platter is an easy meal that I've reproduced with many variations.

The original Hunter Valley Winemaker's Platter comprised cold meats, cheeses, paté, dip, lavosh crackers, and salad. Many of these goods can be bought in the supermarket, making this a very quick meal. I might buy items like pancetta and brie specially for the platter; other times I'll use whatever I have in the pantry and refrigerator. Most times I make the ‘salad’; sometimes I'll make the dip. It all depends on how I'm feeling and how much time I have.

What you need ...

  • 2-3 types of cold meats or fish or both

    I like pancetta and smoked salmon but have used chicken, ham and salami.

  • Condiments to accompany the meats (optional), for example mustard, relish or chutney
  • 2-3 types of cheese
  • Dip
  • Paté (optional)

    If I don't have paté I make a second dip.

  • Crackers or similar for the cheese, dip and pat&acute.

    I've used lavosh, water crackers, lavosh crackers, rice crackers and crispbread.

  • Salad vegetables

    I rarely make a separate salad, I build the salad on the plate. Try different lettuce leaves, capsicum, tomato, mushroom, avocado, pickled onions and gherkins.

  • Salad dressing (optional)
Another platter
View in Instagram

Leftover Christmas ham and smoked salmon with dijonnaise, low-fat cheddar cheese and Jarlsberg, homemade guacamole, antipasto (a Christmas present), a small salad, and rice crackers and pieces of crispbread.

The ‘Winemaker's Platter’ was a dish we enjoyed on one of our first visits to the Hunter Valley. Although no longer offered (at least not at the cafe where we sampled it), the platter is an easy meal that I've reproduced with many variations.

Assemble the platter

Arrange the following on a large plate:

  • Slices of meat or fish topped with 1-2 teaspoons of chosen condiments
  • 1-1½ Tablespoons of dip

    Chinese sauce dishes and small ramekins are great for serving the dip on the plate.

  • Small wedges or blocks of cheese, and paté
  • Some crackers
  • Small salad made from cut vegetables with a drizzle of dressing

To serve ...

Serve the platter with a bowl of extra crackers and your wine of choice (of course! 😉).

No comments:

Post a Comment