Sunday, May 8, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

Butternut pumpkin was on special the other day so I couldn't resist buying a couple more even though I have half in the refrigerator. With so much pumpkin and Winter seeming to have arrived early, I'm busy leafing through my recipe folder for soul-warming food. This pumpkin bread recipe, originally published in Super Food Ideas, is a favourite of Hubby's and mine. It's the fennel that makes this pumpkin bread such a flavour experience for me!

Serves 6

Times

Preparation:
15-20 minutes

Cooking:
40-45 minutes
Maybe it's because I guesstimate quantities but I have found that it can take up to 75 minutes for my pumpkin bread to cook.

Ingredients

  • 500g butternut pumpkin, peeled, chopped
  • 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 40g butter, melted
    The original recipe used 75g. I reduced the amount to reduce the fat.
  • ½ cup skim milk
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • Fresh rosemary sprigs (approximately 2 tspn)

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
  2. Line base and two long ends of a 9cm-deep, 9cm x 19cm (base) loaf pan with baking paper.
  3. Cook pumpkin in a saucepan of boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
  4. Drain pumpkin and transfer to a large bowl.
  5. Mash pumpkin until smooth and let cool for at least 5 minutes.
  6. Add flour, fennel seeds, oregano, butter, milk and eggs, and season with pepper.
  7. Spoon mixture into prepared pan.
  8. Using a spatula, level top and sprinkle over rosemary.
  9. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
  10. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Lift out onto a wire rack to cool.

Tips

  • Use 1 tspn of ground fennel seeds instead of 1 tspn of fennel seeds.
    I think using ground fennel creates the strong flavour that I love.
  • Instead of cooking the pumpkin in boiling water, place cut pumpkin in a microwave dish with about a tablespoon of water, cover, and microwave on high for about 5-10 minutes.
  • Ensure that the mashed pumpkin is cold before adding it to the dry ingredients.
    I found that my bread was quite stodgy and did not rise if the pumpkin was still warm. I try to cook and mash the pumpkin the night before and leave it in the refrigerator overnight.
  • Freeze portions for future meals. When required, microwave on high for 1-1½ minutes.
  • For people with dairy or egg allergies, substitute the milk and eggs with ¾ cup soy milk and ¼ cup of stewed or pureed, cooked apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment