Sunday, October 6, 2024

Date & Nut Protein Balls


My latest blood test results showed my cholesterol and blood sugars were on the rise. With high cholesterol and diabetes in the family, I knew I needed to clean up my diet. I'd fallen into some bad habits over the last few years, especially during the COVID lockdowns.

My research suggested protein balls comprising plant-based proteins and healthy fats, can help support heart health and blood sugars, perfect for someone like me trying to manage high cholesterol and diabetes.

Protein balls are basically bliss balls. Unlike many other recipes on the Web, I did not use protein powder because I wanted to have better control over the ingredients in my protein balls.

If you don't like dates, see notes for a version that uses dried apricots.

Makes approximately 16 protein balls

Times

Preparation:
20 minutes (+ 30 minutes for soaking almonds)

Ingredients

  • ½cup (80g) natural almonds
  • ¼cup (60ml) water
  • 10 dates (approximately 210g), pitted
  • 20g (8 tsp) pumpkin seeds
  • 10g (3 tsp) chia seeds
  • 10g (2 tsp) cacao (Optional)

Method

  1. Soak natural almonds in water for about 30 minutes.
  2. Place almonds (including water), dates, seeds and cacao in a food processor. Blend until a dough is formed.
  3. Scoop out 1-2 tsp and roll in palm to make a ball. Place on a plate in one layer.
  4. Eat immediately or refrigerate for firmer balls.

Notes

For my husband, I replaced the dates with 12 dried apricots, approximately 180g.

  1. Soak the almonds and apricots in ¾cup (180ml) water.
  2. Blend the almonds, ¼ cup water, apricots, seeds and cacao in food processor to create the dough.
  3. Optionally, roll each ball in dessicated coconut.

    I did this to differentiate the apricot balls from the date balls. I needed 25g (10 tsp) dessicated coconut for 16 balls.

The apricot version is high in sugar so you might need to reduce the apricots and add some almond meal or oats to reduce the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment